Like we’ve said before, it only takes 5-7 seconds for a person to form a first impression about someone else. This is why it is important as a PNM, that you present your best self during the weeks leading up to sorority recruitment.
Here are a few tips and important dates to keep in mind:
- Freshmen Orientation Days. These will be the first “sneak peak” of the sororities on campus, and their first glimpse of you. Be sure to look your best and begin doing your own research on each sorority.
- Move-In Days. Now you wouldn’t want to wear heels to walk up flights of stairs and carry your bookshelves into your dorm room, however you will be meeting many people this day. The sororities will most likely be there helping out. Don’t look like you just rolled out of bed. Also, be willing to carry on conversations with those helping you move your belongings into your new room.
- Welcome Week Activities. Every large campus organization will be present at these events to promote themselves. You should take advantage of this opportunity to promote yourself as well.
- Smile. Many of us have a tendency to have an angry expression when we’re deep in thought. Try to remember to relax your face and smile at people who walk by. A sorority woman in your math class may think you hate her, when really you’re just trying to remember the Pythagorean theorem.
- Always dress as if you might run into an ex. No one wants to run into their ex-boyfriend looking like a slob. You never know when you may be face-to-face with the president of your number one sorority choice. You don’t want to be in last night’s make-up and sweatpants when that happens.
- If you have a signature style- express it! Don’t ever be afraid to show who you really are.
- Be willing to step outside of your comfort zone. If you’re someone who tends to be more shy, you’ll need to be willing to put yourself out there and meet new people. You don’t want to get passed up because you were afraid to say hello.
What other suggestions do you have for making a great first impression on sorority women?
Casey, Kate & Rachel
© 2012, Sorority Ever After™. All rights reserved.