We all have them, that social media page that exposes our entire lives for everyone to see. That website you saved as a favorite site to look at – at least once a day. Everyone of all ages are on social networks, but beware of what you post and how it can shape your public image. It is a great way to connect with your best friend from 5th grade that moved away, but it can also let everyone see the ins and outs of your life.
When going through recruitment it is almost a given that your facebook, twitter, or any other site that contains information about you will be viewed. There are a few things you can do to avoid giving off a negative image of yourself before you meet the sorority women face to face. Not only should you clean up your profiles before sorority recruitment, but prospective employers will be looking at your profiles too. People have lost jobs over poor internet judgement!
Here are a few tips on how to protect your image:
1. Put your profiles on private. You can allow your profile picture to be seen, but people who are not your friends cannot view. On Twitter you can set your profile to private too. You have to approve all followers on this setting.
2. Put uploaded and tagged pictures on private. We all have those friends that tag us in those not so glamorous pictures.
3. Put only things that show the best you on your information pages. Think of it like your resume.
4. Remove posts from friends that may be an inside joke but from an outsider could be taken out of context.
5. On Facebook, create a limited profile with basic information for those co-workers and professors who may want to befriend you.
6. Inform your friends that you would appreciate if they didn’t post negative things on your profile.
7. Re-read your statuses before your post them. Especially those late night posts that don’t highlight your best judgment.
8. By rule of thumb, if you wouldn’t want your parents or grandparents to see it, don’t post it.
Google yourself. Would you be proud to see what shows up? What things have you done to clean up your profile?
Casey, Kate, & Rachel
© 2011, Sorority Ever After. All rights reserved.